In this bonus episode, Bart and Chris interview filmmaker Laurens Grant, first briefly reviewing two of her documentaries, the 2016 Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement and the brand-new Black in Space: Breaking the Color Barrier, before launching into an in-depth examination of her career. Both a director and a producer, Grant has a lot to say about the art, craft and business of documentary cinema, as well as about the challenges of being a black woman in this industry. She offers wonderful insights that are especially relevant to the world of today, so listen in!
In addition, we ask our loyal listeners, old and new, to help us out for the next bonus episode, which will drop at the end of August. Please email us at email@example.com to let us know some of your favorite moments ? reviews, interviews, Doc Talk, banter and more ??from past episodes, and we will put together a compilation of those excerpts for that episode. What a great way to lead us in to our 10th season!
Films Mentioned/Song Featured:
- Black in Space: Breaking the Color Barrier (Laurens, Grant, 2020)
- Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement (Laurens, Grant, 2016)
- ?Gray Area,? by Greenspan, feat Josh Lay, Obias, Ashley Alexander (excerpted from Stay Woke)
- 00:41 ? Bart and Chris intro of show?s topic
- 04:33 ? Reviews of Stay Woke and Black in Space
- 14:40 ? Conversation with Laurens Grant
- 41:52 ? Closing Remarks and End credits
Artwork by Hilary Campbell
Intro music by Jeremiah Moored
Transitional music by BELLS (thanks to Christopher Ernst)
Editing and shownotes by Christopher Llewellyn Reed