This week, as the conclusion to the 2020 election season looms, and everyone anxiously awaits the results, we examine the grotesque incompetence, selfishness and venality of Donald Trump and others in his administration, as evidenced by their response to the coronavirus pandemic, through the lens of Alex Gibney's latest documentary, Totally Under Control (made with co-directors Ophelia Harutyunyan and Suzanne Hillinger). New guest host Shilyh Warren makes her debut to help us express our outrage. Then, Chris interviews filmmakers Eli B. Despres, Josh Kriegman and Elyse Steinberg about their profile of the ACLU, The Fight, which we previously reviewed in Episode 906. Listen in and then, please, if you have not done so, already ? VOTE!
Group Review Documentary:
TOTALLY UNDER CONTROL (Alex Gibney/Ophelia Harutyunyan/Suzanne Hillinger, 2020)
Available on VOD from NEON.
Film Featured in Interview Portion:
THE FIGHT (Eli B. Despres/Josh Kriegman/Elyse Steinberg, 2020)
Available on VOD from Magnolia Pictures.
Other Films Mentioned:
- The American President (Rob Reiner, 1995)
- Billie (James Erskine, 2019)
- Chicago 10 (Brett Morgen, 2007)
- Couples Therapy Showtime series (Eli B. Despres/Josh Kriegman/Elyse Steinberg, 2019)
- Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich Netflix series (Lisa Bryant, 2020)
- The Kid Stays in the Picture (Brett Morgen/Nanette Burstein, 2002)
- Medium Cool (Haskell Wexler, 1969)
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin, 2020)
- The Vow HBO series (Karim Amer/Jehane Noujaim, 2020)
- Weiner (Josh Kriegman/Elyse Steinberg, 2016)
Links to reviews by Christopher Llewellyn Reed:?
- 00:43 ? Intro
- 04:18 ? Group Discussion of TOTALLY UNDER CONTROL
- 20:12 ? Chris interviews Eli B. Despres, Josh Kriegman and Elyse Steinberg of THE FIGHT
- ??38:40 ? Doc Talk
- 49:45 ? Closing and End Credits
Artwork by Hilary Campbell
Intro music by Jeremiah Moore
Transitional music by BELLS? (thanks to Christopher Ernst)
Editing and shownotes by Christopher Llewellyn Reed